It might be fair to say that nearly every household (and business) has a powerboard (or power strip) lying around, loaded up with various devices and the occasional appliance.
Powerboards are convenient, inexpensive, and most of the time, they get the job done. However, this doesn’t mean they are always safe, particularly when they are misused.
Before we take a look at what not to plug into a powerboard, first we need to look at the powerboard and see if it’s safe to use.
Ensure that your powerboard looks in excellent condition, has individual switches for each outlet, has an internal circuit breaker, and no frayed wires.
Items not to plug into a powerboard
No matter how good you think your powerboard is, we need to avoid certain items that can cause a safety risk to your safety. These items include those that:
• Generate substantial heat
• Have a high amperage output
• Have a direct energy draw for extended use
Some examples of these include:
• Hair appliances such as dryers, curlers, and straighteners
• Kitchen appliances such as coffee makers, microwaves, and toasters
• Slow cookers and/or refrigerators
• Heating and air conditioning appliances
It’s also worth mentioning that under no circumstances should you plug in a second powerboard or extension cord into your primary powerboard.
So what can you safely use in a powerboard?
Now we’ve ruled out what not to use, here’s what you safely can:
• Devices you need charged (phones/tablets/laptops/earbuds)
• Electric toothbrush or shavers
• Small kitchen appliances such as a juicer or blender
• Televisions and other audio visual items (including gaming consoles)
Do I need more dedicated power points in my home?
If you find yourself with powerboards loaded up with items that you know you shouldn’t be using safely, then it’s time to consider getting some new power points or general power outlets (GPO’s) professionally installed.
Nixon Electrics are able to to install any new GPO’s in your home or office to suit your requirements, safely.
We’re a local electrical contractor in Bunbury, and all our team are highly qualified, competent, and here to serve you with great customer service.